Lawful Verification and Georgia Residency

Verification of Lawful Presence and Georgia Residency Requirements

Verifying Lawful Presence in the United States

Wiregrass Georgia Technical College is responsible for the verification of the lawful presence in the United States of all applicants for admission or re-admission, who are seeking in-state or out-of-state resident tuition status, as required by state and federal immigration laws [O.C.G.A. §50-36-2]. Please provide one of the following items:

  • A valid GA Driver’s License or ID with an issue date on or after January 1, 2008
  • A valid Driver’s License or ID issued by one of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, Guam, the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands, the United States Virgin Island, American Samoa, or the Swain Islands. Must contain a photograph of the bearer. The license or ID card must be from a state that verifies immigration status and only issues to persons lawfully present in the United States.
    See list of compliant states at:
  • A valid United States passport or passport card
  • A valid military ID card for active duty soldiers or veterans
  • A certified United States Birth Certificate showing the student was born in the U.S. or a U.S. territory; a photocopy is not acceptable. Visit to receive instructions for ordering a Certified U.S. Birth Certificate
  • A valid Permanent Resident Card (I-151 or I-551) - front and back
  • U. S. Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the U.S. Department of State (FS-545) or Certification of Report of Birth (DS-1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)
  • A Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561) with individual’s signature
  • A Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570) with individual’s signature.

Verifying Georgia Residency for In-State Tuition

In order to be coded in-state for tuition purposes, you and your parents (if a dependent) must have lived in Georgia for the past 12 consecutive months and accurately answer the residency questions on your admissions application. Proving residency may require more than one of the items listed below.

Independent Students – Students age 24 and older OR under 24 and no one else claimed you during the most recent tax year. Turn in your Georgia Driver’s license/ID or a combination of items listed below:

Dependent Students – Students under age 24 and someone else claimed you during the most recent tax year. Turn in your parents’/guardians’ most recent Georgia 500 tax form. If your parents’ tax returns are unavailable, you may submit your birth certificate and a combination of items in their name(s) listed below:

  • A valid Georgia Driver’s License or ID with an exam date at least 1 year prior to the 1st day of class
  • Most recent Georgia income tax form (GA Tax Form 500) showing full year residency
  • Georgia voter registration card showing registration 12 months or more prior to term’s

starting date. Go to:

  • Location of employment (12 consecutive months of pay stubs with employee address)
  • Current business, professional, or other licenses issued in Georgia (12-month requirement)
  • Georgia automobile registration (current and previous year)
  • Proof of purchase/rental of primary residence in Georgia (property tax paid or leases)
  • Utility bills (must show 12 consecutive months of charges – No cell phone bills)
  • Location of checking, savings, or other banking accounts (12 consecutive months of bank statements with account holder address).