Counseling services at no cost to you!
Through a partnership with FamilyWorks of Valdosta State University, graduate interns are available by appointment for confidential personal counseling or group sessions to students on both the Valdosta and Cook County campuses.
FamilyWorks interns are advanced standing graduate students enrolled in the Marriage and Family Therapy Program at Valdosta State University. Each intern has undergone a screening process prior to being accepted into the MFT Program. All interns are under the direct supervision of experienced, state licensed, qualified faculty of the MFT Program.
Who benefits from counseling or therapy?
Any individual, couples who are married, unmarried, living or not living together, roommates, children, and families of all varieties. Counseling and therapy has been found to be helpful to people with many different kinds of problems. These might include:
- school/work balance
- test anxiety
- roommate conflict
- grief and loss
- relationship problems
- divorce and separation
- parenting problems
To schedule an appointment you have two options:
- Call Family Works Clinic at (229) 219-1281 and leave a confidential message with at least your name and number where you can be reached. A therapist intern will contact you within 24 hours to schedule an appointment.
- Wiregrass students may be seen at FamilyWorks on Patterson Street for counseling. Students unable to schedule an appointment at this location should contact the Special Populations Coordinator, Marc Dame, for a confidential referral to a local outside agency or organization for counseling assistance. If a coordinator is not available, students may contact the Student Success Center on any campus.
For 24-hour emergency services, students may visit the Georgia Crisis & Access Line website, or call 1-800-715-4225.
Social Support Resources
Wiregrass Georgia Technical College is interested in helping students connect with social and financial support services offered through area agencies and organizations. Click for information concerning resources available to Georgia residents. Additional resources in our service area include:
- Lowndes Associated Ministries to People
- Salvation Army
- MIDS, Inc.
- Behavioral Health Services of South Georgia
- Options Now, A Life Choice Clinic, a pregnancy support clinic
- FamilyWorks, a personal counseling center located in Valdosta.
Students in need of assistance in contacting outside agencies for services should contact the Special Populations Coordinator, or any Student Success Center staff member on campus.
Substance Abuse Awareness/Counseling Referrals
Wiregrass Georgia Technical College provides students and faculty with opportunities to receive information on drug and alcohol abuse. While WGTC does have a Zero Tolerance Policy on drugs and alcohol, we provide information and confidential referrals for professional assistance to those suffering from the disease of addiction. Persons seeking referrals should contact a Special Populations/Disabilities Coordinator. If the coordinator is not available, students may contact the staff in the Student Success Center. Additional information resources: DrugRehab.com, Addiction Center.com.
For information on counseling for Military, Veterans, or their dependents visit https://www.vetcenter.va.gov/.
Veteran Center Hotline: 1-877-WAR-VETS (927-8387)