Dental Hygiene - DH13 Degree
Program Description: The Dental Hygiene program is a cooperative degree program offered by Wiregrass Georgia Technical College and Valdosta State University. Students earn an Associate of Applied Science Degree from Valdosta State. The program consists of a combination of academic core courses at VSU and clinical training provided at WGTC. Clinical Training begins annually fall semester. Because of the depth and scope of training, the program utilizes a competitive admission process for selection of students. The top 14 candidates are admitted to the program.
The Dental Hygiene program is a sequence of courses that prepares students for positions in the dental profession. Learning opportunities develop academic, technical, and professional knowledge and skills required for job acquisition, retention, and advancement. Registered dental hygienists work in a variety of professional settings. The public is most familiar with dental hygienists in the private dental office, where they perform numerous critical services designed to detect and prevent diseases of the mouth. These include oral prophylaxis; examining the head, neck, and oral areas for signs of disease; educating patients about oral hygiene; taking or developing radiographs; and applying fluoride or sealants. In this setting, registered dental hygienists play a vital role in protecting the oral health of the American public.
Upon graduation from the program, graduates must pass the Dental Hygiene National Board and the Central Regional Dental Testing Service clinical exam in order to obtain a license to practice dental hygiene.
“The Commission on Dental Accreditation will review complaints that relate to a program's compliance with the accreditation standards. The Commission is interested in the sustained quality and continued improvement of dental and dental-related education programs but does not intervene on behalf of individuals or act as a court of appeal for treatment received by patients or individuals in matters of admission, appointment, promotion or dismissal of faculty, staff or students. A copy of the appropriate accreditation standards and/or the Commission's policy and procedure for submission of complaints may be obtained by contacting the Commission at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611-2678 or by calling 1-800-621-8099 extension 4653.”
CODA Form for Formal Complaint Against an Educational Program
- Submit a completed application and application fee
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Submit official high school transcript or High School Equivalency transcript
- Submit official college transcripts, if applicable
- Present acceptable ACCUPLACER, ACT, ASSET, COMPASS, PSAT, or SAT scores or GED score of 165 or higher or have one of the following: an associate degree or higher or have a HOPE GPA of 2.6 after the completion of 10th grade. Documentation on a college transcript of successful completion of appropriate courses from a regionally accredited college or university may be accepted in lieu of test scores.
Additional Program Requirements:
- Students should apply to Valdosta State University for acceptance into the Dental Hygiene Program and declare dental hygiene as their major. Each student will be assigned a dental hygiene advisor at VSU. Transfer students are accepted to the university, but are required to complete a minimum of 21 credit hours at VSU to satisfy the residency requirement.
- Students should apply to Wiregrass Georgia Technical College for admission to the clinical portion of the program when core courses are complete. The application deadline for application is immediately following the end of spring semester each year. The students selected at the end of spring semester will begin the program fall semester. The dental hygiene clinical program is 5 semesters in length.
- Students are accepted to the program based on a competitive admissions process. Program-specific competitive admission requirements are available online.
Please visit the Valdosta State University website for information on General Education Core Requirements.
- This program begins each Fall semester on the Valdosta campus.
|General Core Courses||44|
|General Education Core - See the Valdosta State University website for more information (44 Hours)||44|
|DHYG 1040 Preclinical Dental Hygiene||2|
|DHYG 1030 Dental Material||2|
|DHYG 1050 Preclinical Dental Hygiene Lab||2|
|DHYG 1070 Radiology Lecture||2|
|DHYG 1080 Oral Biology||5|
|DHYG 1090 Radiology Lab||1|
|DHYG 1110 Clinical Dental Hygiene I Lecture||2|
|DHYG 1111 Clinical Dental Hygiene I Lab||3|
|DHYG 1206 Pharmacology and Pain Control||3|
|DHYG 2010 Clinical Dental Hygiene II Lecture||2|
|DHYG 2200 Periodontology||3|
|DHYG 2020 Clinical Dental Hygiene II Lab||2|
|DHYG 2050 General and Oral Pathology/Pathophysiology||3|
|DHYG 2090 Clinical Dental Hygiene III Lab||4|
|DHYG 2070 Community Dental Health||3|
|DHYG 2080 Clinical Dental Hygiene III||2|
|DHYG 2105 Nutrition||1|
|DHYG 2130 Clinical Dental Hygiene IV Lecture||2|
|DHYG 2140 Clinical Dental Hygiene IV Lab||4|
Faculty & Staff
- Allied Health
Up one level
Programs of Study
Notice and Responsibilities Regarding this Catalog
The information in this College Catalog and Student Handbook accurately reflects current policies and procedures at the time of publication. Students are admitted to the College under and are subject to the provisions of the WGTC Catalog and Student Handbooks for the term they initially enroll. Students in all programs are admitted under and are subject to the provisions of the College Catalog and Student Handbook and applicable addendums for the term they are admitted to the program at Wiregrass Georgia Technical College. If for any reason, a break in enrollment occurs, students must reapply and satisfy the College Catalog and Student Handbook requirements for the term of their re-entry to any program. The provisions of this catalog are not to be regarded as an irrevocable contract between Wiregrass Georgia Technical College and the student. The College reserves the right to change any provision or requirement at any time.