Lawn Maintenance Specialist, TCC (LM11) Technical Certificate of Credit
The Lawn Maintenance Specialist technical certificate of credit program is a sequence of courses that prepares students for entry-level work as a lawn maintenance specialist. Topics include: horticulture construction, landscape installation, and pest management.
Only offered at Department of Corrections sites.
- Submit a completed application and application fee
- Be at least 16 years of age
- Submit official high school transcript or High School Equivalency transcript or college transcripts showing successful completion of 60+ semester credits or 72+ quarter credits
- Submit official college transcripts, if applicable
- Present acceptable ACCUPLACER, ACT, ASSET, COMPASS, PSAT, or SAT scores, Georgia Milestones Literature/Composition or Georgia Milestones American Literature/Composition (for meeting English requirement only) or GED score of 145 or higher, or have one of the following: an associate degree or higher or have a High School overall GPA of 2.0, a HOPE Scholarship GPA of 2.6 or higher after the completion of 10th grade, or have 2 years documented work experience in the subject area. Documentation on a college transcript of successful completion of appropriate courses from a regionally accredited college or university may be accepted in lieu of test scores.
NOTE: Program is only offered at Department of Corrections sites.
|HORT 1070Landscape Installation
Weekly Contact: Lecture - 2.5 Lab 2 - 2 Lab 3 - 1.5 Pre-Requisites: None Co-Requisites: None This course develops skills needed for the proper selection, installation, and establishment of landscape trees, shrubs, groundcovers, turf, and flowers. Topics include workplace safety, interpreting a landscape plan, soil preparation, planting methods, post care and establishment, and managerial functions for landscape installers.
|HORT 1080Pest Management
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 2 Lab 2 - 2 Lab 3 - 0 Pre-requisite(s): None Co-requisite(s): None This course provides an introduction to the principles and mechanisms of integrated pest management across a diverse array of pests including insects, weeds, plant pathogens, nematodes and vertebrates. Specifically, the course will provide students with a fundamental and practical understanding of integrated pest management in a landscape setting with emphasis on pest identification and control; pesticide application safety; and legal requirements for state licensure.
|Choose One of the Following (3 Hours)
|HORT 1000Horticulture Science
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 2 Lab 2 - 2 Lab 3 - 0 Pre-requisite(s): None Co-requisite(s): None Introduces the fundamentals of plant science and horticulture as a career field. Emphasis will be placed on an industry overview; plant morphology; plant physiology; environmental factors affecting horticulture practices; soil physical and chemical properties; fertilizer elements and analysis; and basic propagation techniques.
Weekly Contact Hours: Lecture - 2 Lab 2 - 2 Lab 3 - 0 Pre-requisite(s): Program Admission Co-requisite(s): None This course introduces students to the basic fundamentals of soil science including: soil formation and classification; physical, chemical and biological characteristics; soil fertility and productivity; and soil management and conservation practices.
Up one level
Programs of Study
Notice and Responsibilities Regarding this Catalog
The information in this College Catalog and Student Handbook accurately reflects current policies and procedures at the time of publication. Students are admitted to the College under and are subject to the provisions of the WGTC Catalog and Student Handbooks for the term they initially enroll. Students in all programs are admitted under and are subject to the provisions of the College Catalog and Student Handbook and applicable addendums for the term they are admitted to the program at Wiregrass Georgia Technical College. If for any reason a break in enrollment occurs, students must reapply and satisfy the College Catalog and Student Handbook requirements for the term of their re-entry to any program. The provisions of this catalog are not to be regarded as an irrevocable contract between Wiregrass Georgia Technical College and the student. The College reserves the right to change any provision or requirement at any time.