Surgical Technology - ST13 Degree
Program Description: The surgical technology degree program prepares students for employment in a variety of positions in the surgical field. The surgical technology degree program provides learning opportunities which introduce, develop, and reinforce academic and technical knowledge, skills, and attitudes required for job acquisition, retention, and advancement. In addition, the program provides opportunities to upgrade present knowledge and skills or to retrain in surgical technology. Graduates of the program receive a surgical technology associate of applied science degree and are qualified for employment as surgical technologists as well as eligible to sit for the Certified Surgical Technologist (CST) examination through the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA).
- Submit a completed application and application fee
- Be at least 17 years of age
- Submit official high school transcript or High School Equivalency transcript
- Submit official college transcripts, if applicable
- Present acceptable ACCUPLACER, ACT, ASSET, COMPASS, PSAT, or SAT scores or GED score of 165 or higher or have one of the following: an associate degree or higher or have a HOPE GPA of 2.6 after the completion of 10th grade. Documentation on a college transcript of successful completion of appropriate courses from a regionally accredited college or university may be accepted in lieu of test scores.
Additional Program Requirements:
- American Heart Association Provider CPR Certification, physical examination, up-to-date immunizations, criminal background check and drug screen required prior to start of clinical rotation.
- Effective Spring 2020, students must successfully complete ENGL 1101, MATH 1111, BIOL 2113 Lecture and Lab, and ALHS 1090 before registering for courses with the Surgical Technology prefix (SURG).
- This program begins each Spring semester on the Valdosta campus.
|General Core Courses||15|
|Area I - Language Arts/Communication (3 Hours)||3|
|ENGL 1101 Composition and Rhetoric||3|
|Area II - Social/Behavior Science - Complete 3 Hours||3|
|Area III - Natural Sciences/Mathematics - Choose One of the Following (3 hours)||3|
|MATH 1100 Quantitative Skills and Reasoning||3|
|MATH 1101 Mathematic Modeling||3|
|MATH 1111 College Algebra||3|
|Area IV - Humanities/Fine Arts - Complete 3 Hours||3|
|General Education Core Elective - Complete 3 Hours||3|
|ALHS 1090 Medical Terminology for Allied Health Sciences||2|
|BIOL 2113 Anatomy and Physiology I||3|
|BIOL 2113L Anatomy and Physiology I Lab||1|
|BIOL 2114 Anatomy and Physiology II||3|
|BIOL 2114L Anatomy and Physiology II Lab||1|
|BIOL 2117 Introductory Microbiology||3|
|BIOL 2117L Introductory Microbiology Lab||1|
|SURG 1010 Introduction to Surgical Technology||8|
|SURG 1020 Principles of Surgical Technology||7|
|SURG 1080 Surgical Microbiology||2|
|SURG 1100 Surgical Pharmacology||2|
|SURG 2030 Surgical Procedures I||4|
|SURG 2040 Surgical Procedures II||4|
|SURG 2110 Surgical Technology Clinical I||3|
|SURG 2120 Surgical Technology Clinical II||3|
|SURG 2130 Surgical Technology Clinical III||3|
|SURG 2140 Surgical Technology Clinical IV||3|
|SURG 2240 Seminar in Surgical Technology||2|
Up one level
Programs of Study
Notice and Responsibilities Regarding this Catalog
The information in this College Catalog and Student Handbook accurately reflects current policies and procedures at the time of publication. Students are admitted to the College under and are subject to the provisions of the WGTC Catalog and Student Handbooks for the term they initially enroll. Students in all programs are admitted under and are subject to the provisions of the College Catalog and Student Handbook and applicable addendums for the term they are admitted to the program at Wiregrass Georgia Technical College. If for any reason, a break in enrollment occurs, students must reapply and satisfy the College Catalog and Student Handbook requirements for the term of their re-entry to any program. The provisions of this catalog are not to be regarded as an irrevocable contract between Wiregrass Georgia Technical College and the student. The College reserves the right to change any provision or requirement at any time.